Currently, most families have a refrigerator. However, it doesn’t mean that we all know how to use it properly. Everyone should remember that not all foods are suitable for refrigeration, not to mention that each food has a different way of storing it.
Food stored in the refrigerator will become poisonous if we store it incorrectly. If you do not want your health to be affected, you should take note and remove foods that should not be refrigerated from the refrigerator.
- Does Soy Sauce Need to be Refrigerated?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Should We Use Excess Soy Sauce from the Previous Meal?
- 2. Some Things to Note When Using Soy Sauce
- 3. What are the Benefits of Soy Sauce?
- 4. Should We Eat a lot of Soy Sauce?
- 5. How does Eating a lot of Soy Sauce Affect Your Health, Can it Cause any Disease?
- 6. How is Soy Sauce Content Appropriate in the Daily Diet?
Does Soy Sauce Need to be Refrigerated?
The short answer here is no. Soy sauce is not necessary and should not be refrigerated at any time.
Traditional soy sauce is delicious and safe, but if it is not properly stored and used, it can also deteriorate or lose its substance.
Not only is the spice indispensable in the kitchen, bringing delicious flavors to dishes, soy sauce also helps stimulate appetite and contains many nutrients for your health. In particular, traditional soy sauce is produced under a rigorous process, completely without buffers or preservatives. That is why it has become a commodity that is increasingly trusted by housewives.
However, if not properly stored and used, traditional soy sauce can spoil or lose its substance. Let’s explore the suggestions below to make sure the family’s soy sauce bottle is always delicious and healthy!
1. The Reason Why You do not Need to Keep Soy Sauce in the Refrigerator
Soy sauce is mainly made from a mixture of fermented soybeans, roasted cereals with salt water and a mold called aspergillus oryzae.
One of the interesting things that we already know about fermented foods like fish sauce, soy sauce and miso is in terms of fermentation techniques. They can be maintained at room temperature for a very long time without deterioration. That is why before economic development, people used this way to store food year by year in villages. The microorganisms that exist in fermented foods like soy sauce not only give it a super unique taste, but also help the soy sauce really be preserved for a long time without adding any additives.
This process takes place for months or even years towards premium soy sauce. This dark brown liquid is completely handmade and incubated at room temperature. Thus, it absolutely doesn’t need to be kept in your refrigerator.
An unopened new bottle of soy sauce can last for two or three years and still taste great. Besides, you can rest assured to leave an open soy sauce bottle out of the refrigerator for up to a year as long as they are stored well and protected from air as well as possible.
2. What Storage Space is Good for Soy Sauce?
First of all, it is important to know that not everything in the refrigerator is good, including soy sauce. Why is that? This is because when the temperature is low, the salt in the soy sauce will freeze and accumulate at the bottom of the bottle. This leaves the upper part in not having enough salt to preserve the amino protein. Since then, your family’s soy sauce bottle will both lose its salinity, lose its color and then gradually turn black.
Hence, it is best to preserve traditional soy sauce at room temperature, in an open space and little light.
3. How to Preserve Soy Sauce after Ppening the Lid?
To ensure the full taste of pure soy sauce, you should pour the soy sauce directly into the bowl or use a clean and dry spoon to scoop out the soy sauce.
In particular, do not add any ingredients or let soy sauce wet. You also should not let contaminated tools come into contact with the stored soy sauce. Simply speaking, pure soy sauce is quite “sensitive”, so if you let the above happen, your soy sauce will be easily changed by external factors leading to quick breakdown.
On the other hand, you should not mix soy sauce together instead keep separate soy sauce from each other. Although they are all called soy sauce, did you know that each has its own differences in color, composition and protein. Therefore, when you mix different types of soy sauce, it also means that you are losing their original flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Should We Use Excess Soy Sauce from the Previous Meal?
One important issue to note is that depending on the purpose of use, whenever you pour soy sauce out, you should only take a moderate amount. In the case of redundancy, it should not be regretful to use it again for next time, because it is likely that soy sauce will oxidize when exposed to oxygen in the air for a long time.
As a result, the color and aroma of the traditional soy sauce will no longer be as intact. On the other hand, this also makes it easier for airborne bacteria to come into contact and damage your soy sauce.
2. Some Things to Note When Using Soy Sauce
In addition to the above information, you should pay attention to some other factors when preserving traditional soy sauce as follows:
- The best time to use soy sauce after opening the lid is one month. Use within 1 month after opening. After opening the lid, we should not use it for too long. As recommended by scientists, using within a month after opening the lid is the time when fish sauce has the best quality.
- Don’t forget to screw the bottle cap tightly after use. It is best to store soy sauce in a glass bottle to keep it longer. Tightening the lid while in use to prevent insect entry is essential. Insects instinctively know how to find natural products that do not contain preservative chemicals such as soy sauce and fish sauce. Experience shows that it is recommended to use a glass bottle container to preserve for a long time.
- Traditional soy sauce is made from natural fermentation so there will be a small amount of gas, if you accidentally see a phenomenon of soy sauce pouring out of the cork every time you pour it, do not worry, this is completely the natural reaction.
- Cover the glass bottle tightly, keep soy sauce in a cool and dry place. You need to screw the cap tightly after each use. If the soy sauce is not bottled, you should put it in a plastic bag, seal the mouth of the bag, put it in a bottle, a jar and cover the lid to help prevent insects from entering the fish sauce. Pay attention to soy sauce in a dry and cool place, where there is not much change in temperature to keep soy sauce delicious for a long time.
- Do not overeat soy sauce, do not use in place of salt
- During use, it is necessary to keep the lid tightly closed and store in a cool and dry temperature place. For moldy and metamorphic types, it should not be used anymore.
- When taking medicine to treat diseases such as: blood vessels, stomach, intestines, it absolutely should not eat dishes flavored with soy sauce. Because they will cause side effects such as nausea or vomiting.
- Besides, when buying soy sauce, it is important to see if it belongs to the type of traditional fermentation or recipe processing. That considering Amino Acid Nitrogen content is also important. Kindly make sure that Amino Acid Nitrogen content no less than 0.4g/100ml.
3. What are the Benefits of Soy Sauce?
Naturally fermented soy sauce with a major soy-based ingredient – is a grain that contains many healthy nutrients.
- Soybeans provide people with a healthy body with many kinds of vitamins, minerals, and unsaturated fats, especially it also offers omega-3 and alpha-linolenic acid that is beneficial for brain, heart health and anti-inflammatory ability, so on.
- Soy sauce is also a quite delicious sauce. It is popular and suitable for the taste of East Asians. This is also a traditional and familiar seasoning of many countries such as China, Japan, Korea or Southeast Asian countries.
- Using soy sauce with ensured raw materials, safe traditional fermentation, processing and hygienic packaging will be assured of health when used. It provides a delicious and nutritious spice for the family members in every meal.
4. Should We Eat a lot of Soy Sauce?
In the kitchen of each family, fish sauce and soy sauce are always available. It is used to create a variety of delicious sauces, marinated dishes, baked, and so on to increase flavor for dishes and stimulate more appetite.
If you use fish sauce and soy sauce in a moderate amount and reasonable dosage, it is very good for health. However, for those who have a taste for salty food, to the point that each meal uses up to half a cup of salty fish sauce or pure soy sauce, this eating for a long time causes great affect on your health.
We all know that eating too much salt affects our health. Therefore, many people think that using soy sauce instead of salt will reduce the disease. However, this is completely wrong thinking.
The consequence of using too much soy sauce for a long time is that it increases uric acid in the blood, damages the functions of the kidneys, increases blood pressure, stroke, and so on.
5. How does Eating a lot of Soy Sauce Affect Your Health, Can it Cause any Disease?
Soy sauce is delicious and good for your health. However, eating too much soy sauce will cause bad reactions and easily cause people to suffer from the following diseases:
Risk of cancer
Eating a lot of soy sauce can cause cancer. Protein in soy sauce during fermentation will be rotted, broken down and produced many types of Amines. In this case, Nitrogen Acid present in soy sauce will synthesize Nitrosamine. This substance has the potential to cause cancer. In addition, soy sauce produced from unhygienic factories will be susceptible to fungal infections. Thus, eating a lot will cause cancer.
Active ingredient named Isoflavone in fermented soy sauce plays a role as a catalyst. They cause breast cancer cells to grow. In addition, this substance is also considered to cause irregular menstruation in women.
Affects the thyroid gland
Goitrogens in soy sauce will disrupt the synthesis of hormone Thyroid. And this is exactly what causes hypothyroidism to happen.
Risk of cardiovascular disease
Eating a lot of soy sauce has a high risk of cardiovascular disease.
The high salt content in soy sauce (15g/100ml) is added as they begin to ferment. Therefore, if you use too much soy sauce, it can cause heart disease or blood pressure. Especially dangerous for the elderly.
Affects the development of the fetus
For pregnant women, they should not use too much soy sauce with meals. Because harmful chemicals in the unsafe product are harmful, they even affect the development of the fetus.
6. How is Soy Sauce Content Appropriate in the Daily Diet?
Advice: the average person should consume no more than 6g of salt per day. Approximately, 100ml soy sauce is what you need to use within 3 days to ensure safety and prevent disease.
“Does soy sauce need to be refrigerated?“. The answer is no. Refrigerating soy sauce is not recommended. Now you do not need to wonder whether or not to put soy sauce in the refrigerator. Hopefully with the above helpful sharing, you can become a wise housewife for your small family.