A grill thermometer is something you should consider purchasing, regardless of whether you are a beginner or an expert at grilling. The thermometer will help you cook meats precisely, so you and your guests won’t get foodborne illnesses.
Like other cooking methods, smoking and grilling meats require precision in temperature. The wireless meat thermometer can help you determine the right temperature to cook your meat without drying it. It also allows you to monitor the temperatures remotely so that you are not constantly looking at your grill.
Basic models are sufficient for most tasks. However, you may want an app that tracks and sends alerts about the ambient temperature during your cooking session. You can find options for all types of grillers, in a range of prices and styles. Below is the best grill thermometer you can buy.
- What’s a Grill Thermometer?
- The Best Grill Thermometers Brands
- List Of 18 Best Grill Thermometer Reviews
- 1. BBQ Guru’s UltraQ Bluetooth/Wi-Fi BBQ Temperature Controller Universal Kit for Grills
- 2. MEATER Plus | 165ft Long Range Smart Wireless Meat Thermometer
- 3. ThermoPro TP-16 Large LCD Digital Cooking Food Meat Smoker Oven Kitchen BBQ Grill Thermometer
- 4. DOZYANT 3 1/8 inch Charcoal Grill Temperature Gauge
- 5. ThermoPro TP-07 Wireless BBQ Meat Thermometer for Grilling
- 6. Maverick BT-600 iChef Bluetooth Grill Thermometer
- 7. ThermoPro TP19 Waterproof Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling
- 8. ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
- 9. NutriChef Smart Bluetooth BBQ Grill Thermometer
- 10. Wireless Meat Thermometer with 4 Probes
- 11. Weber 6750 Instant Read Meat Thermometer
- 12. ThermoPro TP27 500FT Long Range Wireless Meat Thermometer for Grilling
- 13. Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer
- 14. Weber iGrill 2 Thermometer
- 15. Inkbird Bluetooth Grill BBQ Meat Thermometer
- 16. ThermoPro TP-17 Dual Probe Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer
- 17. Veken Wireless Meat Thermometer
- 18. The MeatStick X | 260ft Wireless Meat Thermometer
- Buying Guide for the Best Grill Thermometer
- How to Use a Grill Thermometer
- Frequently Asked Questions
What’s a Grill Thermometer?
Grill thermometers are used to determine the internal temperature of food items to ensure they are cooked according to national food guidelines. These recommendations allow cooks to prepare delicious dishes without sacrificing the taste of the food.
Grill thermometers are used by chefs and cooks in many types of restaurants to double-check the quality of the food. More people are using them in their own cooking, especially for grill-ready dishes.
The grill thermometer has a pointed tip. It is inserted into the food and the internal temperature flashes on the screen. When the food has reached the recommended temperature, it is considered “grilled”.
The Best Grill Thermometers Brands
There are many brands of grill thermometers, but ThermoPro has a good selection at an affordable price. Its foldable instant-read thermometer is the most well-known product. This thermometer can be purchased for between $10 and $15. A wireless model can be purchased for as low as $50 and has a range of up 300 feet.
ThermoPro is a similar brand to ThermoWorks. ThermoWorks also offers a wide range of grill thermometers. It even has its own instant-read, foldable red device, as part of Thermapen. This brand is more expensive, but it is well-known for its accuracy, reliability, and speedy temperature readings. ThermoWorks offers a range of highly specialized, commercial devices that offer incredible temperature and wireless ranges.
MEATER, a relatively new product on the market, introduced a smart wireless meat thermometer. It’s perfect for smoking and grilling. The brand’s three models are centered on a sleek, minimalist probe that can be synchronized with an app. The app does everything a meat thermometer does: it reads the internal temperature, alerts you when it’s attained, and also records a detailed history of each cook. It even lets you know how long you should leave your meat to rest before you cut into it. The wooden case doubles as a charger and a Bluetooth signal repeater, doubling the wireless range.
List Of 18 Best Grill Thermometer Reviews
1. BBQ Guru’s UltraQ Bluetooth/Wi-Fi BBQ Temperature Controller Universal Kit for Grills
- Learn how to make the perfect barbecue every time using the UltraQ Temperature Controller. UltraQ is the latest innovation from BBQ Guru. You can now master your barbecue with its innovative design and intuitive app interface.
- You have complete control over the grill. No matter what kind of meat you cook, your meals will be full of flavor. UltraQ’s proprietary technology controls the temperature of your grill by feeding the right amount of oxygen to the charcoal.
- Temperature fluctuations can be reduced and temperature control can be achieved with minimal effort. This results in evenly cooked food that will give your family and friends the best, most delicious food possible.
- The UltraQ is easy to set up and use. Attach the UltraQ to your grill and take the guesswork out of your next barbecue. The BBQ Guru app allows you to select the ideal cooking temperature and food temperature.
- High-tech devices will simultaneously monitor and maintain the ideal ambient temperature for your food. You can now enjoy the most tender and delicious meals possible by using long cooks.
2. MEATER Plus | 165ft Long Range Smart Wireless Meat Thermometer
- MEATER is brand new to the market that claims it’s the “first truly wireless smart food thermometer.” The MEATER Plus has five times the range of its predecessor model (165 feet). While wireless grill thermometers can be wired, many aren’t completely wireless. There’s usually still a wire connecting the base unit to the thermometer. The MEATER Plus, however, is wire-free. You can safely use it in an oven to reach 527 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can choose from different cuts of meat and indicate whether you want your meat well-done or medium-rare. The MEATER Plus will guide you through each step. It can give you an estimate of the time it will take to cook your meat to achieve your desired doneness, and even tell you how long it should rest after it has been removed from the oven or grill. The app was easy to use, and our tester appreciated the ability to save the results. You can also customize the alerts to suit your needs.
- This meat thermometer is perfect for novice grillers or those who are more experienced and want precise results. The MEATER Block has four probes and a block to store them. There is also a standalone touchscreen mode for those who don’t wish to use an app.
3. ThermoPro TP-16 Large LCD Digital Cooking Food Meat Smoker Oven Kitchen BBQ Grill Thermometer
- The best grill thermometer features digital capabilities, a stainless-steel probe, and accurate temperature readings. This grill thermometer is equipped with temperature presets to meet USDA food standards. It takes the guesswork out of grilling.
- The digital timer can be programmed to the desired setting. Once the meat reaches the right temperature, the alarm will sound. The magnetic backing allows the grill thermometer to stick to your grill, making it easy to access and store.
- The ThermoPro’s TP-16 food thermometer allows novice and experienced cooks to use the easiest operation to determine the internal temperature of the meat. The TP-16 is capable of measuring the internal temperature of any type or cut of meat. You can set a timer to cook vegetable side dishes for 10 minutes.
4. DOZYANT 3 1/8 inch Charcoal Grill Temperature Gauge
- Usually, grill-top thermometers come with the grill. However, they can sometimes be inaccurate. This DOZYANT grill-top thermometer can be used on an oven, grill, or smoker to get a more precise measurement (within +-2%) To read the ambient temperature, the thermometer features a 3-inch long stem that extends into your grill’s interior.
- The grill thermometer’s face measures 3.125 inches in diameter and is protected from any damage by a stainless steel case. The thermometer can measure temperatures between 100 and 550 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It has a cool zone between 100 and 250 degrees Fahrenheit to smoke and a warm zone between 250 and 350 degrees Fahrenheit to grill. To ensure clarity in all weather conditions, the dial’s surface is waterproofed and made with no fog glass.
5. ThermoPro TP-07 Wireless BBQ Meat Thermometer for Grilling
- My top pick is the Thermopro T-07. This digital wireless probe/reader kit allows you to easily monitor the temperature of your meat, poultry, or beef from your living room.
- The instant-read design allows you to see temperature readings in milliseconds. This is in contrast to analog models which can take up half an hour or more.
- The BBQ grill thermometer features 3 backlight colors that provide visual indicators of how close your meat is being cooked to perfection. The unit will flash and beep when the meat is cooked to the desired temperature.
- The wireless cooking thermometer can be programmed with predetermined temperatures to achieve the various levels of doneness recommended by the USDA. You can reprogramme all preprogrammed temperatures to adjust the cooking temperature to your liking.
6. Maverick BT-600 iChef Bluetooth Grill Thermometer
- The Maverick Digital Grill Thermometer eliminates the stress of grilling. Instead, it uses your WiFI and an app that you can download to your smartphone, tablet, or another device to monitor the temperatures of your meat.
- You can monitor the temperature of your grill easily and there is no need to worry about the battery. The thermometer will work wirelessly for up to four hours and you can also connect to the rechargeable battery pack to have unlimited battery life.
- You can also upload photos of your best-grilled meats to this app to show off your cooking and grilling skills. To enhance your culinary skills, you can download multiple recipes from the internet.
7. ThermoPro TP19 Waterproof Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling
- Steak is expensive so you need to ensure that the steak doesn’t turn into a hockey stick. You don’t want your hands on the hot grill grates while you fiddle with a complicated thermometer. This model can provide accurate readings in as little as two to three seconds. It is waterproof, so even if you get a juicy slice of meat or are tending to the grill on a dull day, it will still work.
- The instant-read meat thermometer is fast and accurate. It features a precise thermocouple sensor that gives you quick readings. They are accurate to +-0.9 degrees Fahrenheit (+–0.5 degree Celsius). No need to stand over a hot grill. A few seconds can make the difference between perfect cooking and overcooked.
- This turkey grill thermometer has a 2.0-inch Auto-Rotating Display that intuitively flips right-side-up. It is the perfect solution for left-handers and awkward angles. The probe thermometer can be used to sense when it is open or closed. It powers on when the probe thermometer is opened and shuts off when it is closed.
8. ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
- There are 9 types of meats: beef, ground beef, and poultry, as well as ground chicken, chicken, turkey, ground poultry, veal, and fish. You can also set the desired cooking temperatures for medium, medium well, rare, medium, and medium-rare. These settings can all be adjusted or reset to suit any cooking temperature.
- The main sensor apparatus has a dual meat probe that provides faster and more precise temperature readings. Each can be used to cook different types of meats or different meats at different temperatures.
- You can adjust temperatures and check the internal temperature, cooking time remaining, and internal temperature up to 300 feet away. This allows you to relax in your own home or favorite spot and not have to look at the device every few minutes.
- LCD display with backlit, for easy reading at night or day. Clear and precise readouts are provided for both meat probes. Although it is not rated for submersion the TP20 can be used in any situation where water or splashes are possible. You don’t have to worry about fragile parts being damaged by dropping them into the dirt.
9. NutriChef Smart Bluetooth BBQ Grill Thermometer
- This smart Bluetooth grill thermometer is the best option if you are looking for a thermostat that can reach temperatures up to 482-degrees Fahrenheit (250 degrees Celsius). This device connects to your phone via Bluetooth and an app, rather than using a handheld receiver.
- It can also be used with up to six probes simultaneously. The range of the device’s outside is 200 ft, while the inside is 100. It works in conjunction with EasyBBQ, an app available for iOS and Android.
- The NutriChef smart thermometer for grilling and smoking is a viable option if you are looking to use an app-based grill or smoker.
- Professional smart cordless grilling set and accessories. If the chef leaves the wireless Bluetooth range, you will receive an instant push notification on your smartphone. The Apple iPhone iOS and Android WiFi mobile apps will send push notifications to the sensor when the meat or steak reaches the desired temperature.
10. Wireless Meat Thermometer with 4 Probes
- Four probes come with the Soraken grill thermometer. You can also add two additional probes to monitor up to six portions of meat. One probe can monitor the temperature of the oven or grill, while the others monitor the food.
- The Bluetooth connection allows it to connect to your smartphone and can be used indoors or outdoors at a distance of approximately 100 feet. You can either choose from 11 preset temperatures to suit different meats or manually adjust your desired temperature.
- This best grill thermometer can read between 32 and 572 degrees Fahrenheit. The wire can withstand temperatures of up to 716°F, while the silicone handle can withstand temperatures of up to 482°F. You can attach the base unit to any metal surface with the magnet back.
- Although the silicone probe handles have been color-coded by our reviewer, the other ends are not. The wires can get tangled and confusing when trying to monitor multiple food items. The app was overall well-designed and our tester liked it. This app is an excellent choice for grilling multiple types of meat simultaneously.
11. Weber 6750 Instant Read Meat Thermometer
- This Weber instant-read grill thermometer has received a high customer rating due to its simple design and small size. It is easy to use and quick to read, according to Amazon reviews.
- One customer said that it provides precise results in “just seconds” and that the large digital display was “easy-to-read” and that the shape is easy to use. It can read temperatures as high as 446 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can test your food with a thermometer to determine if it is safe to grill over charcoal or gas. This thermometer will ensure that your barbecues produce perfectly grilled food.
12. ThermoPro TP27 500FT Long Range Wireless Meat Thermometer for Grilling
- The four colored meat probes can be used to simultaneously measure the temperature of four types of meat with the wireless grill thermometer. The remote will notify the handheld receiver when the meat reaches the desired temperature. It has a range of up to 500 feet so the food can be retrieved or turned.
- Large backlit LCD displays are easy to read in all lighting conditions. The bold text on the screen is large enough that it is easily visible even for those with poor vision.
- The thermometer can withstand temperatures up to 716°F and a temperature range between 14 and 572°F. This thermometer can read temperatures to +-1.8 degrees Fahrenheit and runs on four AAA batteries.
13. Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer
- The Ivation Wireless Dual Probe is next on my list. The Ivation Wireless Dual Probe is a long-range thermometer that gives you two readings, so you can grill and smoke simultaneously.
- The Ivation’s accuracy is amazing, so you can get on with the job of cooking your meat. This accuracy is best exemplified by its ability to quickly adjust the meat temperature after it has been moved or placed on a piece of new meat. It takes only seconds.
- The wireless capabilities of the device allow you to obtain a reading in a range of up to 300 feet. It will notify you if you are outside the range of its readings. It will also let you know when your BBQ temperature has reached dangerous levels.
- This thermometer has two probes and a wide reading range. It keeps you in complete control of what’s going on beneath the hood. Ivation has thought of everything to make this digital probe a valuable tool for improving your grilling experience.
14. Weber iGrill 2 Thermometer
- You may have a picky eater in the family so you need to prepare multiple meals on the grill. You might be hosting a dinner party where you have to prepare several dishes for your guests. The Weber Wireless Bluetooth Grill Thermometer makes a great investment.
- The thermometer has two probes, which can simultaneously check the temperatures of different meats. To ensure you know the correct temperature for each type of meat, the probes come in a variety of colors.
- The best grill thermometer can also be connected to your smartphone via Bluetooth technology. This allows you to monitor the temperature and other functions of your meat, while you’re using the Weber app available in the app store. The app will notify you if you are not within the range to accurately gauge the temperature.
- It is water-resistant, so you can clean the probes easily. After cleaning the thermometer, you can simply stick it to the adhesive backing.
15. Inkbird Bluetooth Grill BBQ Meat Thermometer
- The days of measuring something’s temperature by analog are long gone. This high-tech grill thermometer can be connected to both Android and iOS devices seamlessly, so you can keep track without having to go to the grill. The probe-style model features a magnetic design that allows it to attach to most metal surfaces.
- It also has an easy-to-read digital LCD display that makes it easy to see. It is completely wireless and has a rechargeable battery. Four probes are included and can be used to keep it connected digitally using Bluetooth technology.
16. ThermoPro TP-17 Dual Probe Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer
Probes: Dual probe design makes cooking multiple different kinds of meat far easier. Each probe is tracked separately, and the readout can be tweaked to read both for different kinds of temperatures.
- Dual probes make cooking different types of meat much easier. Each probe can be tracked individually and each readout can easily be adjusted to indicate which probes are being used for what temperatures.
- The LCD display is easy to read and can be backlit in darker conditions. The LCD display can display temperatures in Celsius and Fahrenheit. The grill thermometer is also able to display the readings for meat probes. You can adjust the readouts to indicate different meat temperatures, which ensures a safe and thorough cooking process.
- The best grill thermometer is magnetic and sticks to any metal surface, such as the front of the smoker or the oven door. The unit also features a flip-out counter stand that can be used to sit on any horizontal surface.
17. Veken Wireless Meat Thermometer
- This device might be worth considering if you’re looking to cook for four people simultaneously. This is the best 4-probe BBQ grill thermostat on our list. It has a large LCD backlit display for nighttime. The USDA recommends this device, as they did with the Thermopro options mentioned in this review.
- The receiver can transmit up to 490-feet and has a stronger transmission signal. Four probes can withstand temperatures up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit. This is what you might need to cook meat with a little bit of charring. This bbq thermometer is a great option if you’re looking for an affordable thermometer that transmits strong signals.
18. The MeatStick X | 260ft Wireless Meat Thermometer
- While you want your thermometer working well on the grill for the best results, the MeatStick is capable of doing much more. The grill thermometer can be used with any rotisserie because it is wireless. And, since it is waterproof, you can use it inside a sous vide bag. It is also capable of handling high temperatures.
- The best grill thermometer can handle temperatures up to 212°F when fully inserted into the meat. The ceramic handle sensor, which measures ambient temperature, can handle temperatures up to 572 degrees. This high threshold allows it to handle both oven and grill temperatures easily. It can also be used in deep fryers.
- It is difficult to imagine a situation that this thermometer wouldn’t handle. The MeatStick X is an upgrade to the original MeatStick. It also features an app that monitors temperature and sends out alerts. You’ll be able to cook for long periods of time with the stick’s 24-hour battery life. It can be washed in the dishwasher after it is done.
Buying Guide for the Best Grill Thermometer
The grill thermometers can be used to improve your time at the barbecue. They have wireless capabilities and alerts for mobile devices. Some use lasers to read the temperature of the food’s surface. These are the main factors to consider when searching for the best grill thermometer.
Grill thermometers can be used to determine the temperature of the food and grill. They may also have other features such as instant-read technology or wireless connectivity.
- The instant-read grill thermometers are typically small and portable with a digital display. Once the probe has been inserted into the food it will provide a quick, accurate reading.
- Laser surface grill thermometers are able to measure the temperature of food, cookware, and heating elements using an infrared laser. These thermometers cannot be used to check internal food temperatures.
- The remote probe thermometer can be placed in food with wireless grill thermometers. The thermometer can be connected via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to a mobile device that provides regular updates on the temperature, regardless of where the grill is cooking.
- The top thermometers for grills are used to monitor the temperature of the grill. These thermometers are essential for smoking meats and other foods. The lid must be kept closed during smoking to ensure proper temperature control.
One of the most important factors to consider is the accuracy of a grill thermometer. It’s important to have a grill thermometer that has a minimum accuracy rating of +-2 percent. You can also adjust the accuracy by using a calibration feature.
Temperature tracking is another great feature, especially when managing an indoor grill. Some digital and wireless grill thermometers offer this feature. This feature records and measures the internal temperature of the meat as well as the ambient temperature. Some products also record the date, time, and type of dish being prepared, based on information provided by the user.
A temperature range that is adequate for the temperature of the food and the temperature at the grill is essential, just like accuracy. The temperature range of a grill thermometer will not be adequate to accurately measure the heat generated by the grill.
A narrow temperature range has its advantages. A narrower temperature range is more accurate in its heat spectrum. It may be useful for measuring the internal temperature in steaks, fish, and roasts to make sure that the center of the food is at the right temperature before it is placed on the plate.
Although the length of the probe for a grill thermometer varies depending on the product, it is the same regardless of what type of grill thermometer you have (with the exceptions of laser surface thermometers). A probe of the right length is essential to accurately measure the temperature of thick cuts of meat such as large pork shoulders or whole chicken.
It is recommended that you use a grill thermometer with at least 5 inches of probe length for these large cuts. It is also important to consider the shape of your probe. Straight probes come standard with most grill thermometers. However, curved probes can be useful for smokers and smaller grills.
A grill thermometer’s display can be as simple as a dial or digital. The dial does not need to be powered by batteries. Just place the probe and wait for the dial to maintain a constant temperature before you can read the numbers. The dial may not be easy to read under dim lighting. This is why it is not recommended for those who love evening grilling.
Digital displays are typically backlit so they can be read under different lighting conditions. The display will not only show the temperature of the probe but could also show the ambient temperature and detailed records of cook times, temperatures, and meals if the thermometer is temperature tracking.
Some grill thermometers can connect wirelessly to Bluetooth or Wi-Fi-enabled smart devices. This allows the grill cook to be able to connect wirelessly to smart devices via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. These wireless devices are usually manufactured by companies that offer an app that can be downloaded to a tablet or smartphone to allow the thermometer to communicate with it.
The temperature alerts feature may also be available. These alerts can notify users about extreme temperature fluctuations. A wireless device must have a connection to a power source and be able to function properly. The thermometer won’t transmit temperature readings if the connection drops or the batteries fail.
An ordinary dial grill thermometer will not require power. However, if the thermometer is digital or capable of instant readings or wireless connectivity, or laser readings then batteries and their life expectancy are important. The majority of grill thermometers are powered by AAA or AA batteries that are simple to change. To conserve stored energy, however, it is important to remove the batteries from the thermometer when not in use.
Many grill thermometers come with rechargeable lithium batteries. This means that you don’t have to go to the store to buy disposable batteries. To ensure that your grill thermometer is always ready for the next meal, it should be charged every time you use it.
How to Use a Grill Thermometer
Although using a grill thermometer can be quite straightforward, these are some tips to ensure delicious results.
- You should aim for a temperature of five degrees below the recommended cooking temperature for the meat that you are preparing. This will allow the meat to continue to cook in the heat source (sauce or grill, warming rack, etc. This is how to do it.
- The grill thermometer should be inserted into the thickest portion of the meat, not the bone. This can cause an incorrect reading.
- To prevent contamination, clean the grill thermometer according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use hot water and soap.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can meat thermometers be accurate?
Meat thermometers can be inaccurate. It is important to calibrate your thermometer at least once a year, or as recommended by the manufacturer. Stick the probe in a glass of ice water to check if it is accurate. The probe should read 32degF/0degC. It should read 32degF or 0degC. If it does not, you will need to calibrate it according to the instructions in the user manual.
2. In which place should my grill thermometer be placed?
To ensure that the food is cooked to perfection, a grill thermometer equipped with a probe can simply be inserted into the middle of the food. The probe-less thermometer can be placed on the side of the food, about 2 inches from the grill grates.
3. How deep do you need to insert a meat thermometer into the ground?
For good reading on meat thermometers, you should insert them at least 1/2 inch deep into the meat. However, double-check your manual to get more specific guidance. If you are cooking red meat or steak, the thermometer should be inserted in the middle of the thickest portion, not near the bone, fat/gristle, or bone. When cooking ground meat, the thermometer should be inserted in the thickest section or sideways for thin items such as hamburgers.
4. How long do grill thermometers last?
Grill thermometers can last between two and three years depending on how often they are used, maintained, and exposed to wind and rain.
The same care should be given to choosing the right grill thermometer as you do when selecting your grill. These devices will make a difference in how your family eats their food. They are also crucial in ensuring that meat dishes are cooked to the right temperature for human consumption.
This wide range of applications means that a combination of several thermometers may be the best grill thermometer to use for your next tailgate or barbecue. Many grill thermometers can connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to give you instant readings and alerts. Take a look at the features you are looking for and then choose the right grill thermometer.