It is best to prepare fresh salmon as soon as it is caught or purchased. However, we do not always have the conditions to enjoy fresh salmon. Then, frozen salmon will be a good choice. If you have frozen fish before cooking, you should follow our guidelines below to avoid contamination of the fish and loss of its delicious taste. In the following article, KITCHENBAR will guide you on how to defrost salmon in the most effective and safe ways.
- How to Defrost Salmon
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What’s the Secret to Perfectly Defrost Salmon?
- 2. What do I Need to Pay Attention to When Defrosting Salmon? Is there Anything Taboo?
- 3. How to Freeze Salmon at Home Safely and Quickly?
- 4. How to Properly Store Salmon to Keep it for a Long Time?
- 5. Should I Buy Whole Salmon or Salmon Fillets for the Family?
- 6. How to Prepare Salmon to be Clean and not Fishy before Freezing Them?
- 7. How to Choose Delicious Filleted Salmon?
- Closing Points
How to Defrost Salmon
Method 1: Defrost Salmon in the Fridge
To defrost salmon in the fridge, you can check out the following steps:
- Remove salmon from the freezer about 12 hours before cooking. There is a notice that if the fish weighs about 450 grams, it should be removed from the freezer about 24 hours before cooking.
- Peel off the outer wrapping if the fish is wrapped in multiple layers of bags or foil
- Put the fish in a bowl
- Place the bowl on a flat surface in the refrigerator, absolutely away frozen salmon from other foods to prevent the salmon from transferring odors to other foods. The appropriate refrigerator temperature you should set up at this time is from 1.7 to 4.4 degrees Celsius to avoid creating conditions for bacteria to grow.
- Cook immediately after taking the salmon out of the fridge.
Method 2: Defrost Salmon by Soaking
Soaking with cool water is quite a simple method to defrost salmon.
- Take the fish out of the freezer before cooking fish. For every 454 grams of salmon, you need to let the fish defrost 30 minutes before.
- If you have not cooked the fish, you need to wrap the fish in a plastic bag to avoid contaminating the fish.
- Place fish in a large bowl.
- Fill the bowl with water so that the fish is submerged in it.
- You can also use the sink to soak the fish. However, you need to keep the fish free of bacteria because of the sink during the defrosting process.
- Pour cold water into a bowl or soaking tub to submerge the fish.
- Change the water every 30 minutes.
- As soon as the fish is completely defrosted, you need to cook the fish immediately.
- If you’re defrosting salmon that’s been frozen in ice, water the fish until the ice melts.
- Then wrap the fish in a plastic bag, put the fish in a pan or bowl and put it in the refrigerator for about 6 to 12 hours.
Method 3: Defrost Salmon in the Microwave
This is the fastest way to defrost salmon. However, for this method, you need to be very careful not to overcook the salmon. Please refer to the following steps to defrost salmon in the microwave.
- Remove frozen salmon from the freezer.
- Remove the carrying bag.
- Place salmon on a plate lined with absorbent paper.
- Cover the salmon with another layer of absorbent paper.
- Place the thinnest part of the fish on the center of the plate.
- For every 454 grams of salmon, you should defrost in the microwave for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- The defrost mode usually uses about 30% of the microwave’s heat, or in the “Power 3” button mode.
- At about half the defrosting time, turn the microwave off and then turn it on again.
- Turn off the microwave before the selected time has set up so that the salmon still has some ice on it. This protects the salmon from overcooking.
- Place the plate on the table for about 5 minutes for the salmon to defrost completely.
- Cook immediately after defrosting.
Defrosting salmon in the microwave is not the best option to use. The rapid rise in temperature of the microwave will cause the fish scales to burn quickly. The fish will not be completely defrosted and will dry out. But in case of urgent need, you can still try.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What’s the Secret to Perfectly Defrost Salmon?
After the salmon is in the refrigerator for a long time, it will be difficult for you to remember when it started to be put in the refrigerator. Therefore, it is a good idea to label and stick it outside of the bag before storing it in the fridge to make sure that you do not leave it for more than 8 weeks in the freezer before eating.
If you want to defrost whole salmon, you need to check the amount of ice in the fish’s belly. It is better to water the gill cavities and abdominal cavity to completely defrost the fish.
2. What do I Need to Pay Attention to When Defrosting Salmon? Is there Anything Taboo?
- Do not defrost fish in hot water. The reason is that the hot and humid environment will create conditions for bacteria to grow quickly.
- Do not refreeze salmon once it has been defrosted.
- You need to properly freeze fish. Household freezers have variable cooling airflow and temperature and are therefore not suitable for long-term storage.
- After buying fish and freezing it, you need to process it after up to 2 to 3 months so that the salmon does not lose its nutrients and inherent flavor.
- If the salmon has been exposed to air, no matter if it is kept in the package or in the freezer, it means that you have not frozen the salmon in the right way. Therefore, it is not advisable to continue freezing and processing fish.
- For defrosting the whole salmon, you should check to see if there are any ice cubes inside the fish’s belly at the end of the defrosting process. If there is still, you can flush it with clean water so that the ice falls off and can be processed immediately in the kitchen.
3. How to Freeze Salmon at Home Safely and Quickly?
First, you need to thoroughly prepare the salmon to be frozen. You can wash it with dilute salt water to let the bacteria naturally exist on the fish. This helps the fish to be preserved longer and safer.
Next, you will apply a little salt on the surface of the fish to avoid bacteria and retain the inherent substances of the fish.
Put the fish in a food wrapping bag used for freezing and put the salmon in the refrigerator to freeze the fish. This process needs to be kept continuous, avoiding interruptions to ensure the quality and safety of the food.
4. How to Properly Store Salmon to Keep it for a Long Time?
If you buy fish (fresh or fillet salmon) to use within one day, you just need to simply chill the whole salmon or refrigerate the fillets. Salmon which is preserved in this way should only be used within 24 hours.
If you decide to not use it all within a day, you should put the fish in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator (also known as freezing). Freezing fish can help preserve it for 2 to 3 months.
5. Should I Buy Whole Salmon or Salmon Fillets for the Family?
Depending on the purpose of use, you should buy whole salmon or salmon fillets for the family.
In fact, if you are cooking at home, you should buy ready-made salmon fillets because they fit the family’s diet. They are sold a lot in seafood markets, supermarkets and other e-commerce websites. This makes it more convenient for you to prepare salmon.
On the other hand, the preparation of the whole salmon is more suitable for restaurants or parties with large servings.
6. How to Prepare Salmon to be Clean and not Fishy before Freezing Them?
- First, use a scalpel to cut the salmon belly, cut and remove all the intestines inside the salmon’s belly.
- Then you use a very sharp knife and then cut down the direction from the head to the tail of the fish.
- You should control the knife to follow the fish’s backbone to get all the meat, avoid wasting it because salmon is very expensive
- You should also cut evenly and gently so that the cut is smooth to help the fish meat evenly and without interruption.
- After that, clean the scales on the outside of the fish.
- Place the fish on a large cutting board or a clean and dry flat surface. This will help keep the fish from slipping, the fish will not move and you will have a large space to prepare easily.
- After cutting off one side of the fish, you use one hand to stretch the fish skin, the other hand to use a real iron knife to cut the skin off.
- You should cut from the tail of the fish to the belly of the fish, it will be easier to manipulate.
- Finally, use tweezers to pick up all the bones that are still in the meat.
- Now you can cut the fish into large and small pieces depending on the taste of the dish you are about to prepare.
7. How to Choose Delicious Filleted Salmon?
Fresh salmon flesh should be bright pink or orange. If the meat turns darker, it means the fish meat is spoiled or about to go to the stage of decomposition.
Besides, delicious salmon will have extremely good elasticity. When you press your hand into the fish meat, you will see a dent but quickly return to its original state. This is fresh fish meat.
Observing the surface of the meat, if you find it dry, not wet or strange, the fat veins on the salmon are even and bright without tarnish or brown spots, this is a delicious salmon. In addition, the fresh fish fillet will have a characteristic aroma, no strange smell or blackness.
Hopefully, this article will help you partially defrost salmon in the right way, which still keeps its original flavor to you to have the most nutritious dish. Now you can answer “how to defrost salmon” by yourself. Let’s go to the kitchen and go on. If you have any questions related to “how to defrost salmon”, kindly feel free to contact us.