Among the seafood species favored by humans, the most popular seafood in the world, present in most markets, is shrimp. This seafood is rich in nutrients, easy to prepare, and suitable for most people. Learn more to be able to make more delicious dishes from this crustacean!
You need to peel raw shrimp and take out the vein to prepare your recipe. Or simply clean the shell and freeze it for later use. So how to devein shrimp is super quick and easy? Let us get started with you!
- How to Devein Shrimp is Super Quick and Easy?
- Some Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
How to Devein Shrimp is Super Quick and Easy?
We have known that Shrimp contains a lot of calcium, which is very good for health, especially for children. How to devein shrimp, to keep shrimp meat and nutrients intact for processing, you need to be skillful.
Get Devein Shrimp
First, wash the shrimp thoroughly with salt to remove the viscosity. Then slowly remove the shrimp shells. To peel shrimp, you can take the tip of the fork, squeeze it into the shell, and then gently separate. The whole shell will be peeled clean. Or you can remove the head of the shrimp, then turn the shrimp upside down, place two thumbs at the top and bottom of the shrimp body, use force to separate the shrimp legs from the meat first, then follow the shell.
Next, you use a toothpick to skewer the end where you can see the vein of shrimp – hook the thread up and pull it gently, the finger supporting the thread will come out neatly and not break. Then you will get the result that the shrimp is still clean and beautiful.
Devein Shrimp with a Tail?
How to devein shrimp with a tail? After the shrimp is washed, you will use a fork or hand to peel the shell on the shrimp from the belly upwards. Until the end is right at the tail of the shrimp, you slowly separate it because this part is attached to the tail shell, if you use force and pull it, it will break the tail. Then we hold the 2 tails of the shrimps and separate them slightly, they will tear a small line in the middle (This is a step that requires your gentleness and ingenuity. Because jerking will break the tail).
Next, use your right hand to hold each tail and extend it to your left hand to support the shrimp so that the meat in the 2 tails will slip out easily. You will slowly see the tail shell slip off and stick to the end of the tail shell. So we have a beautiful peeled shrimp with the tail attached.
Next, you use the tip of a small knife to slowly skewer the shrimp meat and remove the vein. That’s it, how to devein shrimp with a tail. Finally, we separate the shrimp back flowers to make it beautiful when cooking. Rinse the shrimp and then separate the backs, ready to cook.
Tips to Help you Handle Shrimp Easily and Conveniently
- Peeling Shrimps: If you want to peel shrimp quickly, you can dissolve a little alum in water and then let the shrimp soak for a while. Then peel the shrimp, the shrimp meat will not stick to the shell.
- Eliminate the fishy smell of shrimp: When boiling shrimp with boiling water, you should add a piece of cinnamon to the water, the shrimp will lose its fishy taste and the flavor will remain the same.
- Choose to buy freshwater shrimp: When buying freshwater shrimp, you should choose hard antennae, bulging eyes, flashing green color, snake meat, flesh and shell that stick together.
- Choose to buy sea shrimp: When buying sea shrimp, you should choose a bright color.
- Keep shrimp fresh for a long time: If you want to keep shrimp fresh for a long time before you put it in the refrigerator, you should blanch or fry it, the shell becomes pink.
- Shrimps: If you want to soak the shrimp evenly, put the shrimp in a plastic bag, shake it and pat the bag with your hand, so the powder will surround the shrimp.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to defrost frozen shrimp in the refrigerator?
If you have put the shrimp in the freezer, refrigerate for at least a day or two before using. When removing the shrimp, place them in a bowl to catch the melted liquid and leave them at room temperature until the shrimp are completely defrosted.
If you’re like us and don’t plan, put the shrimp in a bowl and rinse completely with cold (not warm) water. Cover the bowl with a lid or small plate so that the shrimp are completely submerged. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes until defrosted. Change the water if the shrimp have not been defrosted afterward.
2. How long does shrimp last in the refrigerator after defrosting?
After thawing shrimp, store in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
3. Do you need to remove all the shrimp only?
No. Although we call it “how to devein shrimp“, the dark line you see on the shrimp’s back is its digestive tract. Getting rid of it is a matter of personal taste and preference, not a matter of hygiene. It is not harmful to us to eat.
If the veining is really obvious – dark or thick – you may want to deepen the shrimp for a cleaner look. Larger shrimp may also have rougher veins, which may have an unappealing texture. So, it’s best to find out more about those guys. But if the veins are not obvious or if the shrimp are small, you don’t need to spend time removing each vein carefully.
4. What happens if you don’t remove that thread?
Nothing! Vein removal is a matter of personal preference. It is not harmful to eat in any way.
5. Tools to help you peel shrimp – Is it worth it?
Depends on how much you love shrimp! If you find yourself having to peel and gouge a lot of shrimp, by all means, but buy yourself a shrimp cleaner to make your life easier. They are inexpensive and easy to learn to use.
On the other hand, if you’re not a fan of single-use tools, skip it. A peeler knife also works well for the few times in your life you’ll be going deep and peeling shrimp.
6. What to do with leftover shells?
Shrimp shells make a great seafood stew because they retain much of the flavor of the shrimp. Store the pods in the freezer until you need them. Then, boil them for about 20 minutes to make a quick seafood stock to use instead of water when making seafood stir-fries.
We hope that with what we have just shared with you about how to devein shrimp, you have been able to make and cook delicious shrimp dishes yourself. Wish you success and don’t forget to rate 5* for our article as well as leave a comment!