Do you know how to freeze broccoli? In this article, KITCHENBAR will guide you through how to freeze broccoli as well as learn more about the nutritional value of this green leafy vegetable useful to our health.
- How to Freeze Broccoli
- Cautions When Freezing Broccoli
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. How can I choose to buy fresh broccoli?
- 2. How long can broccoli be preserved?
- 3. Do I need to wash fresh broccoli before eating it?
- 4. Can broccoli last long after being sliced or chopped?
- 5. How to realize if broccoli is spoiled and should not be eaten?
- 6. How to cook broccoli best?
- 7. What is the secret to processing broccoli with stir-fries?
- 8. What are the benefits of broccoli?
How to Freeze Broccoli
Broccoli is sold in stores mainly in a frozen form. This vegetable is completely resistant to freezing. Many people don’t even see fresh broccoli.
Freezing broccoli for winter is a common method. However, there are a few rules that will help preserve all of their original benefits, flavor and shape.
Broccoli should be divided into some small parts before freezing.
Firstly, it is not convenient to store whole broccoli because it will take up a lot of space. Second, the pieces will be frozen faster, and this will maximize the savings of vitamins and minerals in broccoli.
To get started, disassemble the broccoli into small pieces and rinse them off. The next step, which should not be missed, is to soak in saltwater. Salt is added to kill the larvae, which are not always visible to the eyes. Prepare a solution of 1 liter of water and 1 tablespoon of salt, add the broccoli and keep for half an hour. All harmful organisms will float to the surface.
Note: Soaking vegetables is also recommended to remove excess nitric acid salt, known as nitrate. If you buy a vegetable on the market, then keep it for 15 minutes in water to neutralize harmful substances.
Before freezing the broccoli, it will be great if you remember this step. Thanks to blanching, the broccoli will not rot, more vitamins will be saved, the broccoli after thawing will cook much faster, harmful microorganisms are destroyed (they can even multiply in the freezer).
The easy and simple way is to blanch in boiling water.
- You can boil water in a pan.
- Put broccoli in a sieve.
- When the water is boiling, lower the broccoli and keep it for a few minutes, not more.
- Now move the sieve and immediately immerse the broccoli in an ice bowl.
Another option is by steaming.
- To do this, you need a boiler.
- Place broccoli in a saucepan and steam it for no longer than 7 minutes.
After any kind of blanching, dry the broccoli on a napkin or towel. Do not use newsprint. The dryer will help speed up the drying of the broccoli. The broccoli is now ready to be frozen.
How to Freeze Broccoli
- For storage, it is great to use a special freezer bag or a plastic container with a lid. Materials must withstand low temperatures and be strong enough.
- Put broccoli in the bag only in dry form.
- Arrange broccoli in turn, avoiding overlapping.
- Freezing is harmful to any product, try not to allow this by dividing the portion into 1 serving.
- The standard storage temperature is minus 18 degrees Celsius.
- Shelf life is 8-12 months but it is better to eat the product faster.
Some Tips: In the case of large volumes of broccoli, it is recommended that you attach the notepad on the packaging and the container with the date the product is placed in the freezer. Thus, you won’t forget to use everything until the expiration date.
The standard storage temperature is minus 18 degrees Celsius
Cautions When Freezing Broccoli
- Always keep broccoli cold. At room temperature, the sugar in broccoli converts itself into a fiber called lignin, wood and fiber, which is completely unhealthy.
- Store in sealed food containers (glass, plastic) or perforated nylon bags.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I choose to buy fresh broccoli?
To choose to buy fresh broccoli, you only need to pay attention to the following 3 factors:
Choose broccoli that is dark green, doesn’t turn yellow and wilt.
To choose delicious broccoli, you must first look at the color of broccoli. Color is the key when choosing broccoli. The greener broccoli, the more Beta-Carotene – an important antioxidant. Broccoli with dark green but not yellow is good broccoli.
Next, feel the stem of the broccoli and choose which broccoli has a firm stalk that is not flexible.
In addition, you should choose broccoli when holding it feels firm, sturdy. You also should buy the broccoli that has a weight commensurate with its shape. Keep away from the damaged and rotten broccoli. Never buy the soft and light broccoli as it may be withered.
In addition, you should also pay attention that broccoli with a raised center will taste better than flat broccoli.
Finally, look at the broccoli for any holes. Broccoli with thick and tight flower parts with no gaps is delicious.
Avoid buying broccoli that has yellowish spikes because you are old and withered.
2. How long can broccoli be preserved?
The best environment for storing broccoli is in the refrigerator and keeping it dry. You should take it within 3 to 5 days.
Alternatively, you can store it in the freezer. Thanks to that, you can preserve broccoli for up to 12-18 months. If properly stored, it will maintain its best quality for about 12 to 18 months but will remain safe after that time.
3. Do I need to wash fresh broccoli before eating it?
Yes, broccoli should be washed thoroughly before eating. Before washing, it should be cut into bite-sized and equal pieces so that it will cook evenly. Wash thoroughly directly under running water. A little tip for you is to soak the broccoli in saltwater, the germs left on the broccoli will quickly be cleaned.
4. Can broccoli last long after being sliced or chopped?
Chopped fresh broccoli will keep in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
5. How to realize if broccoli is spoiled and should not be eaten?
Damaged broccoli will become soft and discolored. When touched you will find their texture very loose. Never choose broccoli that has a bad smell or is no longer in its original shape.
6. How to cook broccoli best?
Here we would like to introduce to you the four most simple and best ways to cook broccoli so that you can quickly cook dishes with broccoli.
Grilled broccoli is often served with chili sauce, fish sauce or lime pepper salt.
This method couldn’t be simpler: chop broccoli, mix it with olive oil, sprinkle a little salt and place in a hot oven. Wait fifteen minutes or less, the grilled broccoli is ready. You can spray on fresh lemon juice dishes or use fresh jams.
Steam or boil broccoli
Boiling and steaming are the two fastest methods of cooking broccoli. After about 5 to 7 minutes, dip it in ice-cold water to keep its bright green color.
Broccoli mixed with other vegetables and fruits
You can combine this dish with boiled shrimp or steamed squid to increase the flavor of the dish.
The broccoli should be cut and blanched first through the boiling water, taken out and put in cold water immediately to keep vitamins and make the broccoli crispy and sweet.
You can also make a broccoli salad with thin-sliced boiled pork, steamed beef or shrimp, steamed squid and spices to taste.
7. What is the secret to processing broccoli with stir-fries?
Broccoli is best suited to stir-fries because of its crunchy and chewy texture. If possible, try frying broccoli with melted butter or olive oil for the freshest taste. In addition, broccoli is also very flavor-suitable with garlic. Before turning off the heat, you should add a few drops of sesame oil to a stir-fry and stir well to create a special flavor for the broccoli.
8. What are the benefits of broccoli?
Broccoli is a good source of many nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Here are 14 benefits that broccoli brings to our health:
- Contains many vitamins, minerals and biological compounds
- Contains antioxidants that have protective effects on health
- Contains biological compounds that help reduce inflammation in the body
- Broccoli is effective against several cancers
- Increase blood sugar control
- Broccoli can help improve heart health
- Broccoli helps to enhance digestive function and relieve constipation
- Improve dementia and enhance brain function
- Broccoli plays an important to slow down the aging process
- Strengthens the immune system through the action of vitamin C
- Broccoli helps improve oral health
- Broccoli helps to protect the skeletal system
- Nutrients in broccoli are beneficial during pregnancy
- Broccoli helps to protect the skin from sun damage
Hopefully, the article has provided you with useful and quite complete information about broccoli as well as how to freeze broccoli – a popular and delicious food that not all housewives understand. It is great to maintain the use of broccoli for your family to keep strong and stay healthy.